DISCLAIMER: ROOT AT YOUR OWN RISK. I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE ON YOUR PHONE, HENCE FOLLOW CLOSELY AND FOR WHAT YOU DON’T UNDERSTAND, ASK
in rooting your HTC glacier, there are 2 options:
- this option works on devices with android 2.2 froyo. users with 2.3.4 gingerbread will have to downgrade to root after which they can upgrade again. it includes the following methods:
- Gfree method – will only recommend this method to pros. more info can be found here
- Root.sh method – method used here
2. if you do not want to downgrade then scroll to the bottom for the other method
for a guide on downgrading, click here.
the following procedure requires downgrading to 2.2.1 froyo
- install visionary
- Download the root.rar file and unzip it to /sdcard on your device.
- Run VISIONary to gain temp root.
there are two different sets of instructions from here
- Terminal Emulator Method
- Start terminal emulator up on your device.(I prefer this method b/c you can see the output.)
- type “su” + enter to gain root privileges.
- Type “cd /sdcard/root” + enter
- Type “sh root.sh” + enter
- Follow the on screen prompts.
- File Explorer Method
- Start up root explorer, sufbs, or some other type of file browser with root privileges
- Navigate to /sdcard/root on your device
- Click on root.sh and allow it to run. Some file browsers ask you if you want to or not
- Now wait about 18 to 20 seconds and restart your device into the bootloader to check if S=off is displayed
- Start the device back up
- Run visionary again and reboot again. This will make root stick.
You can now uninstall visionary and enjoy permaroot.
Alternative Root Process
you need to have the android sdk installed and ADB setup on your PC for this
1. uninstall visionary and superuser and restart your device to wipe out temp root.
2. download MT4G Modperm.zip and unzip its contents to your sdk tools directory.
For Windows Users:
1. Using Explorer navigate to the root of your sdk. Hold shift and right mouse click on the tools folder. Select “Open command window here”.
2. Type “adbbat” + enter. Wait till the batch file finishes.
For Linux Users:
1. Using file browser of your choice (or terminal) navigate to the tools folder of your sdk and double click on adbbat.sh (type sh adbbat.sh if you are using terminal).
2. Disconnect your phone from the PC.
3. Open terminal emulator on the phone and type “/data/local/rage” + enter. Wait for “Forked XXXXXXXX children” to appear and then close the terminal.
4. Start terminal back up. It should force close.
5. Start terminal back up, again. This time it should stay open and you should have a “#” prompt instead of a “$” prompt. Then type “/data/local/temp.sh.
6. When the script finishes run /data/local/rage again and sit tight. The phone should start acting weird and do a soft reboot. Then right after everything loads it should do a hard reboot. After the hard reboot reboot and check S.(If it doesn’t do the two reboots just reboot into hboot yourself after rage finishes with the “forked xxxxxxxx children” message.
7. Enjoy root!
If you still have problems getting su to work after this uninstall visionary, shutdown, pull battery, and restart. Should work after that.
If you have tried EVERYTHING and still cannot get it to work for through the process and wait 30 minutes to an hour. The driver might have a cache delay write and you may need to give it some time to allow the sync command to work.
If su doesn’t stick, root again! You can’t overroot it!
rooting without downgrading
- head over to http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/ to unlock your bootloader first
- Download recovery and SU images.
- Save the recovery img to your Android SDK tools (c:\android-sdk-windows\tools) or platform-tools (c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools) folder and rename to “recovery.img”
- Turn off your phone.
- Hold the volume down button + power until you boot to a white screen.
- Use the volume rocker to select FASTBOOT then press the power button to select it.
- Connect your phone to your PC
Open up a windows command prompt and navigate to your sdk tools or platform tools folder. by using the following commands:
for tools, cd c:\android-sdk-windows\tools or
for platform-tools, cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
- Type FASTBOOT DEVICES to make sure your computer “sees” your phone and is ready to flash the recovery. You should get a serial number and then the word fastboot as the output
- Type fastboot flash recovery recovery.img and press enter. Give it a minute to do it’s thing. You should get a message that says writing recovery and success.
- Unplug your phone and use the volume rocker to select BOOTLOADER and then again to select RECOVERY and you should be booted into recovery.
- repeat the process with the SU img file and you’re done.